Wednesday, September 26, 2007

yum, nothing like comfort food (remixed)

i made mashed potatoes in my rice cooker tonight!! how strange is that. but it was pretty easy and they tasted pretty good (but of course not as good as my moms). this came about after i had attempted to make pumpkin in my rice cooker, which i have done before and had worked out splendidly. you just chunk the pumpkin, put some water, soy sauce and sugar in the rice cooker and turn it on. however, this time i over cooked the pumpkin, it was way too mushy (eewww mushy pumpkin, it was like some sort of rejected baby food). which made me think, i could use the same technique to make mashed potatoes. so then i had to try it out, since the pumpkin was already in the garbage.

anyone who knows me knows that one little bowl of mashed potatoes made my day! they make me so happy, ahhh comfort food.

*funny note about mashed potatoes i had put that they were my favorite food in my self introduction with my classes, and all of the students were very confused, mashed potatoes are not a common sight around on this side of the world, in the land of rice, rice and more rice.

*incase anyone is so inclined to make rice cooker mashed potatoes:
peel the potatoes, cube them, put them in the rice cooker with a little water, salt and butter. turn it on, should be done in about 15-20minutes, depending on how many potatoes you have in there. then just add warm milk and maybe a little more butter, and mash away. took very little time.

**i know a request was made as to what i eat, and what the grocery stores are like. and i promise that a post on that will be coming soon. i just haven't worked up the courage to whip out my camera in the local grocery store, i already stand out enough, without being the weirdo taking pictures of the vegetables, rice, and fish...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not surprising that you devised a way to enjoy your fav, comfort food (I notice no turkey meatloaf to accompany, you have outgrown some childhood favs). Remember when Kyoko stayed with us and we served her this as a typical American meal? She was also very confused (the whole texture thing was quite beyond her). Enjoy your upcoming Homestay! Mom

Sophia said...

Long time no post, missy! I supposed you have been busy, considering you have a full time job and all. Just don't forget about your obligations to the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

I've just caught myself up with your 'Japan Adventures,' and I have to say that this was one of my favorite entries. I can just see you telling us this story in person. Keep exploring and having a great time!!
Love,
Sarah

Unknown said...

yea, you don't want to become on of those japanese tourists in guam, taking pictures of everything....the beach, the abc store, themselves eating a hamburger at a restaurant haha, oh it is entertaining to see though

Laura said...

Your last comment made me laugh out loud to imagine you standing in the aisle taking pictures of groceries while all the Japanese people stared and whispered around you. Priceless. I know the feeling here - I don't even like whipping out a map on the street because I feel like such a tourist!