Tuesday, October 23, 2007

temple, temple, GIANT BUDDHA

*this is a little late, but I have been trying to post it all week, but blooger has not been cooperating.

This past weekend was a very busy but enjoyable weekend. Left my apartment at 4;30 Friday afternoon and didn’t get back until 10:30 Sunday night, just enough time to get my things ready for class in the morning.

Friday night I made my way up to Hitachi-ota where Emma lives. Spent the night at her place, as we were heading out early in the morning on a JET excursion to Kamakura, it is the old capital of Japan, so there is a lot of history to the town. We met other JETs in Mito at 6am.

It took us a few hours to get to Kamakura by bus. Once we got there, there were so many things to see. The city has lots of temples and a giant Buddha. Could have easily spent more than one day there, but one day was sufficient enough to see most everything.








there was a traditional japanese wedding ceremony going on, the bride is wearing the crazy white hat














This was a very interesting temple, it was in a cave that was only about 4 ft high and had lots of tunnels that went through the cave with different little offering locations. it was built for the only female deity in Japan. all of the little statues were left by mothers who have had children that have passed away. There were thousands all about.


and this guy ust makes me happy


Got back to Mito about 10:30 but then went to drive home and my friends car battery was dead. Resulted in having to call her supervisor and lots of interesting drama trying to find jumper cables.

Sunday morning Emma and I walked around her town a bit, as it was a beautiful day. The weather has been lovely recently, really feels like fall (I love it!). Headed into Mito and met a few friends for lunch at an Indian restaurant. Emma and I then went to a mall, she needed something to wear to a wedding that she has to attend next weekend. Had a lovely time just doing some mindless shopping, and trying to understand some of the Japanese fashion. All the rage seems to be wearing socks up past your knees and then high boots to right under the knee with short shorts. I’m going to have to get some picture of this because typically fashion here will eventually make it to the US (but I hope this fashion movement doesn’t!).

Headed home on the train Sunday evening, but then received a message that a few people in my area were going to the matsuri (festival) in the town next to mine. So decided to meet up with them. There were 4 of us JETs there, and all of the kids that were there were one of our kids or had been one of the others kids before. Yet that didn’t stop them from trying to give us beer and other such things. (these were mostly the high school students, not my middle school kids)


*sidenote, I’m currently sitting in the teachers room writing this and my principal and vice principal are sitting at their desks playing with a breathalyzer that one of them just bought or were given! Its pretty hilarious. Like I have said before, the principals of schools here really do nothing!!

1 comment:

Laura said...

This reminds me of here, where it's not uncommon to have dreads, a rat tail/mullet, or some indescribable haircut that looks like the stylist was drunk when she took scissors to the person's head. Some international fashions can stay in their respective countries.