Wednesday, October 10, 2007

なぜ (naze)? why?

I hear this way too much

Going into my second month of teaching English now, and I find myself struggling to understand things about the English language, or at least how to explain certain things. How do you explain things that come so naturally to a native English speaker to someone who has only been studying English for a few months. Especially when Japanese and English have virtually nothing in common (I suppose this is why I struggle as much, or more, with Japanese as my students do with English).

Why is it that…

I play soccer. But He plays soccer.
I study Japanese. But She studies Japanese.
*Why does the y in study become ies but with play you just add an s?

Does Tatsuya like cats? Yes, Tatsya likes cats.
*Why does the like gain an s?

*What is the difference between ‘must’ and ‘have to’?

*Why do contractions exist? Is it so hard to say I cannot? Not, I can’t?

I know that these are all things that myself as a native English speaker just understand, and know. How do you explain why to a student when they ask these questions? I have been left baffled by students’ questions on more than one occasion.

Now unrelated, I just had 2 great experiences in the teacher’s room, which seem quite arbitrary and meaningless but were breakthroughs to me.

First, I am trying to prepare a few things to do when my parents come to town this weekend, so I decided that I should ask my teachers. At the time there were only 4 female teachers in the room, and they all started trying to think of good places to visit and go to eat. I told them that I wanted to find a place that has a traditional meal, but I didn’t know the name. So I showed them a picture, and then they gave me a whole lesson in the different types of set meals. It was great. They then rattled off a ton of restaurants. About 10 minutes after the conversation had ended 2 of the teachers came up to me and handed me maps on how to get to 2 places, all of the menu information, and all of the Kanji characters written out so I can understand them. And my fellow English teacher told me that she would call and make any reservations for me (attempting to make phone calls in Japanese terrifies me!) I love the office ladies here. They take very good care of me ☺

Second, I had walked away from my desk and walked back to two teachers standing around talking about my computer. They were commenting on how ‘cute’ it was (Macs are not too common over here, they have enough really good computer companies over here). Eventually all of the teachers that were in the teachers room, about 6 of us were gathered around my desk, talking about my computer. This may seem quite arbitrary but, none of them speak any English, so it was a great dialogue of miming and gesturing, plus my attempts at Japanese. Eventually we got off of the topic of computers and started talking about me studying Japanese. I told them that everyday at lunch (I eat with the teachers at this school) I learn new words and then write them down to remember them. I learn interesting words this way. Like: to shoot (a gun), bland (taste), bitter/strong (taste), traffic jam, what to call a naughty student…Following this 15 minute dialogue I have had a few teachers come over and ask me how to say certain things in English, they want to learn a few words everyday like I am trying to do with Japanese they said. So I really feel that in the last 2 hours I have finally been accepted into the teachers world at this school. This took much less time than at the other school.

Oh also today was school pictures. Do you think I was told ahead of time? Haha, yea right. I was told to go to a meeting in some room. Walked in and there was a photographer who told me to sit down and smile! That’s going to be a lovely picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
I'm absolutely loving reading your blog. Jim & I were in Japan in April so the pictures are wonderful. Thank you so much for sending all this great info. Jan Coleman

Sophia said...

I'm so glad I am not responsible for teaching my kids grammar. Though I am sure in time a few questions will pop up. While there are rules for some stuff I think a lot of it is just memorization... like the plays/studies thing. With French there are rules for verb conjugation but a ton of irregular verbs that the rules don't apply to. And don't get me started on German articles and adjective endings...