Thursday, November 1, 2007

happy halloween!

Happy Halloween!


This is the Jack-O-Lantern I made with the pumpkin that mysteriously showed up on my desk. Didn't turn out too bad considering that the pumpkin was pretty small and I was dealing with a pretty large knife (they don't seem to have small knives here, strange).

So Halloween in Japan mostly consisted of doing things in school with my kids. Which was actually quite a bit of fun. The kids loved it.

My JTE and I had come up with a Halloween plan. We both were going to 'dress up' as witches, I just wore all black and put on a witches hat, but everyone was pretty impressed, haha. We decided that we would tell the students 'the story of Halloween' and explain the Jack-o-Lantern I had made (I really didnt know much about this before doing research, but if anyone would like to know I could tell you the story now after teaching it to 8 different classes!).



Then we would play a relay Halloween vocabulary game with the kids. But the 'batons' that they had to pass off to one another were different costume type things (my witches hat, pig ears, monkey ears, cat mask...), the loved this. And they all really got into the game (I was really glad it went over so well.











After we played the game, the kids got to go 'trick or treating' to me, and I gave them a pack of candy corn (that my parents had brought from america). the reactions to candy corn were pretty mixed. some of the kids thought it was too sweet (I agree) but others loved it. but either way they loved that they got to try candy from america! (i also gave some to the teachers, and surprisingly most of them liked it!)

tasting candy corn, this kids face is priceless...











my kids are pretty cute!


as for halloween outside of school, i was supposed to go to a halloween thing in tokyo on saturday, but there was a typhoon (just a bunch of rain really) but decided that it probably wasn't the best idea to head out into the storm. instead tamae and i stayed up all night trying to bake pumpkin cookies, using a small japanese pumpkin and my oven (more like an easy bake oven, that I was able to pack up and take with me to Tamae's apt). cookies turned out alright but took so long to make in my little oven.


but last night on halloween, a few friends decided that we would meet up and watch scary movies. but once we all got together we decided to just sit around and talk all evening since we hadn't seen each other in awhile. it was a nice evening. we even had halloween decorations. but quite different than the halloweens of the past.

hope everyone had a wonderful halloween!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are priceless! What a fun day for your students. We enjoyed Nathan's Pirate costume but quite a calm evening compared to our hundreds of Trick or Treaters in Guam. Mom

Sophia said...

It's been over 2 weeks since your last post!! Just a heads-up. :)