Saturday, August 25, 2007

kashima antlers

so my dad arrived this morning and i successfully made it to and from narita airport! this means that i took the expressway, dealt with tolls, and figured out airport traffic and parking. it really wasn't too bad, it only takes about 30 minutes from my apt to parking at the airport.

after we got back to itako, we had some lunch and i showed him around my little town. went to the itako shrine, which i had not made it to yet. its in the middle of a park/forest, which was pretty cool. seemed to be a local hang out spot, some high schoolers were up there relaxing. there was a nice view of itako from above from there too.







see he really made it...


and especially for someone that asked that i include myself in some pictures, here is me and itako! :)


then tonight we ventured to a kashima antlers football (soccer) game against yokohama, which was awesome. kashima won 2-1! the kashima antlers are the #1 j-league team, and there home stadium is about 10-15minutes from me. it was one of the 2002 world cup stadiums too. so the antlers have become my adopted team, seeing as they are so close. hopefully i'll make it to another game. the cheering was quite organized, you would think that they practice! there were lots of large flags, clapping, and even some taiko drumming.













here are a few pics of "ball park" food (curry, calamari, udon, yakisoba....), only in japan would you use chopsticks to eat your "ballpark" food







and here are the people that come around at half time and at the end of the game to collect everyones trash, and everyone collects trash and disposes of it. pretty effecient they really should pick up on this back in the US...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lauren & Tom, Glad to see your Dad is getting to see your new surroundings and enjoying the local sports, you certainly have it all at your fingertips, great location! Your descriptions are very good, helps us understand more about the culture your experiencing. You'll be happy to know that your car is comfortably parked in G&G's garage, The trip from Md. was pretty scenic and enjoyable. Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pics of yourself, I assume that was directed to me. :)Your nephew was very happy to see pics of you and Grandpa. He was waving at the computer and saying hi to you both. Forgot to comment on the fermented soybean post, those looked vile...you are lucky to have been on the winning team to not eat them.

Sophia said...

Will there be baseball games next summer, too?? I've only been to two in the past and one was with you, so we should go again! I'm about to go out and I let Priscilla dress me and do my makeup... pictures to follow on facebook soon, haha. Aitai!

Anonymous said...

I have loved being here with Lauren and seeing here "little town" It is a quiet place and not lot to do but it is very safe and good spot for her on her first year out of university. I am sure that when school opens there will be more and more things that will keep her interest. I can't wiat to get back here with Deb so she can expereince this part of Japan...our girl's part of Japan.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your visit with your dad - your description of everything makes me feel as though I am there. And by the way I agree with Marnie's comments about those fermented soybeans very yucky looking. Love Aunt Sue